This Veterans Day, we would like to honor those who served by highlighting some good resources for and about veterans. Terrebonne Parish Library has a wide range of books about veterans and their experiences at war and coming home. We also have books for veterans; covering topics such as applying for veteran's benefits, adjusting to life back home, and finding careers after the military. For a list of books for and about veterans, click here.
We also have many videos on the veteran experience. These are available for online streaming through our video database, Access Video on Demand. To sign in and view the videos, you will need a password and user id. You can get these by calling the reference department at 876-5861, option 2. Simply log on and search for "veterans".
We have also put together a list of great online resources for veterans and their families:
- The U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs is dedicated to providing quality care and service for America's former servicemen.
- VA Home Loan Guaranty Services provides home loan and mortgage information to veterans.
- Housing and Urban Development has many housing programs for veterans worth looking into.
- Mental health resources for returning veterans can be found at the website of SAMHSA, the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration.
- The Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs tries its best to help veterans--especially those returning from service overseas--find the help and services they need.
- The National World War Two Memorial has message boards, a registry and an e-store for veterans of the watershed conflagration.
- The Korean War Memorial homepage has information about the monument and the war it commemorates.