Another year, another season for gathering up the forms and pulling out your hair to figure out where all your money went. Yes, it's tax season again and the library can help!
First, every Tuesday from February 7th to April 11th (except Mardi Gras, February 28th when the library will be closed), VITA, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program will be at the Main Branch from 9am to 3pm.
Tax preparation is free for those who earned less than $50,000. Please read through Publication 3676-B which tells you what they will prepare and what to bring.
You can also call Jennifer Gaudet at Catholic Charities, 876-0490 for more information.
Louisiana Tax Forms
The state is encouraging everyone filing for Louisiana to file online. Forms and instructions have not been sent to libraries.
While the state does not send out forms to libraries, all forms for the state of Louisiana are available online for download or they can be sent to you.
- To file electronically, go to www.revenue.louisiana.gov/fileonline
- Download tax forms at www.revenue.louisiana.gov/taxforms
- Or Call 1-888-829-3071 to request forms by mail.
IRS (Federal Tax Forms)
As with the state, the IRS is sending less tax forms out each year. Currently, the library has access to the following forms and instructions:
- 1040EZ Instructions
These forms are limited in quantity. Staff can print out forms and instructions, but normal charges apply (10 cents per page for black and white printouts; 50 cents for color).
- To file electronically, go to https://www.irs.gov/Filing/E-File-Options for options on efiling.
- Download tax forms at https://www.irs.gov/Forms-&-Pubs
- Have forms mailed to you by calling 1-800-829-3676, Option 2 or by ordering online at https://www.irs.gov/uac/Forms-and-Publications-by-U.S.-Mail
- For 1099 or other employer forms, individuals must request them from the IRS at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/online-ordering-for-information-returns-and-employer-returns or by calling 1-800-829-3676 to place an order.
For further questions, the number for the local IRS office is 985-876-0949.
Please remember the following also:
- Printouts and copies are not free from the library. The library charges 10 cents per page for black and white printouts; 50 cents for color.
- Computers and VITA may have a wait time.
- Library staff are not trained tax professionals and cannot answer tax questions or help filling out tax forms.
- Libraries cannot guarantee the security of personal information you submit with online tax forms.